Thursday, June 24, 2004

The Heron

Last weekend I spent both Saturday and Sunday afternoons at the beach, by myself. (Boyfriend was in golf world--playing on Saturday and watching the final round of the U.S. Open on Sunday.) Our nearest (favorite) beach is just a short drive away, with only one stop sign on the way. On Saturday, I pulled up at the stop sign, which is at a "T" intersection, and saw that there was a heron across the street directly in front of me. It's not unusual for us to see herons because we have a marshy pond directly below our condo. But this guy was standing next to a funky, nondescript house by the side of the road, just inches off the asphalt. Although we also have blue herons here, he was white. I love herons, and he was lovely. And all I could think was: I wonder what herons are supposed to symbolize? Because he seemed so out of place in the setting, as if he'd been planted there just for me to see. And I took it as a good omen...as a sign that maybe I'm on my way 'back.'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home