Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Pick up life, shake vigorously, set back down.

I'm still reeling a bit from becoming an instant full-time 'stepmother.' Not in a bad way, but to have this happen with no warning (or mental or emotional preparation) has been a bit of a shock. Because I do like me some before-hand prep...these days. This experience has reminded me of how I used to live my life--impulsive, unpredictable, subject to change at any moment. And maybe that's why as soon as the boyfriend hung up the phone with H.'s mother and asked me what I thought, my first response was a big smile, followed by, "It's great! We'll make it work." I guess all those decades of self-imposed impetuous living made me more adaptable at this age than I would have expected.

I haven't even freaked out over the financial aspect of it, which surprises me. Because relocating to the mainland (and starting completely over, yet again) does seem daunting at times. And we were expecting it to just be the two of us. But then I remind myself how many zillions of times I've started from scratch, alone. We'd already accepted the fact that however much money we have saved by the time we split for the mainland will probably feel like too little--we could always have more. And then we remember how we used to live and how we came here with almost nothing...and we have a good laugh at our own expense at how cautious and safe our mindsets have become in just four short years. (Who have we become? Money? Saved? What a concept!)

So, a new adventure begins! I'm still marveling over it...and over how easily I've absorbed it. I guess when you live with the hope that something will eventually happen, you're ready when it does...even if the timing gets a jump on you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home