Friday, July 30, 2004

airspace

It's remarkable how in one moment I'm surrounded by darkness...and in the next my surroundings have taken shape and formed into objects.  We know the objects exist even in the darkness because they're composed of matter.  (We particularly know this when we bang into one of them.)  Isn't it interesting how they exist in our minds even though we can't see them?  The mind's eye never ceases to amaze me in its capacity to see the real and the imagined. 

Is it a function of memory, this ability to see without our eyes looking at something?  Or a function of imagination?  To me, memory and imagination seem to have very undefined borders--like trying to separate halves of a swimming pool.  Isn't it all mixed up together?  If my memory of something is completely different than yours, is that because our memories are augmented by our imaginations?  Do I simply prefer to remember it the way I wish it had happened, to the point of convincing myself that my imagined memory is real?  Or can our reality of any shared moment be that drastically different? 

When we feel like we're on an entirely different page or wavelength than someone else, are we literally traveling through a different airspace than our fellow traveler?  Maybe we only share a common walking of the earth because there's not a sufficient universal 'air traffic control system' in place to allow us to travel more ethereally through our day-to-day lives.   And maybe that's a good thing, since it provides us with a much-needed sense of commonality.  Otherwise I imagine an atmosphere much like Saturn's rings, with all of us moving through different planes.  I suppose there would be just as much judgment and prejudice and hierarchy in a world like that.  "Oh look, she's only on level 3...tsk, not very enlightened, is she?" 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home