Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Good Humor (Wo)Man

Something occurred to me as I was heading back to the office at lunchtime today. Out of the blue I suddenly realized that I hold back a large part of my personality in these blogs. Specifically, I rarely write anything humorous. And my friends would all tell you that my sense of humor is one of my better traits. When I sit down to write a post, I seem to find myself (for the most part) writing something "nice." I wonder why that is.

I suppose it's primarily because my humor tends to be very sarcastic and sometimes sarcasm--when it's read rather than heard--can be mistrued. Sometimes it can just sound mean-spirited. And yet some of my favorite blogs and journals ARE my favorites because they're so sarcastic!

And because I lead such an isolated existence here, I don't have anyone (other than my boyfriend) to play my humor off of. I miss spending time with friends and bantering back and forth. Like a squirrel hoarding nuts, I've been stockpiling my humor arsenal for our return stateside. I did have a bit of a release last Fall at my father's roast, but I'm gonna be ready to unload when we get to California. And given that my brother (who'll be nearby) is one of the funniest (and quickest) people I know, the wit will be flying at a rapid clip. Maybe I should start honing those skills now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home