Reminder
Ever reach a point in your live-in relationship where you feel you've become like a pair of well-worn (okay, favorite) old shoes to each other? It's a cliche, I know, but I'd been really feeling that way lately. We spend so much time together at home, outside of our jobs, that it's easy to fall into that trap of just not trying very hard. And boyfriend's as guilty as I am. I love him to pieces, but sometimes seeing your loved lying around in his grubbies while flipping channels isn't always the most enticing site.
We had a nice morning and then he went off to play golf (something I gladly send him off to do because it relaxes him and he always arrives home in a good mood). After putzing around for awhile I decided to jump in the shower. When I got out, I decided I was going to make my outside match the good mood I was in. So I looked in the closet and grabbed a $2 strapless sundress from my recent thrift shop haul. When I'd tried it on for the boyfriend right after I bought it, his eyes lit up and he said that's a keeper, but I have to be with you when you wear it. Ha! So I put that on, combed out my freshly-shampooed hair, put on some dark pink lipstick to match the big flowers on the white dress...and waited for him to show up on the 15th hole right below our balcony. When I spotted him a short while later, I wandered out onto the balcony. He looked up from the putting green and smiled...and then looked again and his eyes lit up. After his foursome had finished putting, he walked over to the bottom of the trail that runs from below our balcony to the cart path and looked up and said, "You're all dressed up!" I smiled and said, "For you." That got me a big smile.
He called me from the clubhouse when he finished his round. He said, "You were looking pretty sexy up there." I laughed and said I thought maybe I needed to remind him that he has a woman in the house. He said, "Not just my partner...my partner in crime." I said, "Exactly!" When he arrived home a short while later, he was still smiling.
We've been so consumed lately with trying to plan our immediate future--where to go, how to make it happen to get there, etc. that we'd sort of put romance on hold. If you spent time with us, it would be clear that we love each other, but we'd fallen into a comfortable rut. It's almost laughable at how simple it was to spark things up again. It reminded me that our romance needs the kind of attention we've been devoting to planning and logistics.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home