Sunday, May 23, 2004

The Best Laid Plans

Some might feel discombobulated if they thought they had things all planned and mapped out when inspiration struck from an unlikely source to plant new ideas in one's head. I'm not one of those people. Although I operated from a "seat of my pants" mode for many years, I did eventually learn to PLAN for things. But (and isn't there always a but?) I still try to be open to other options. To me, that seems the best of both worlds. I can put a plan into motion so that I feel tangible forward movement, but I try not to close myself off to possibly meandering down a different path at any point in the journey.

I (we) had one of those moments today. A spark of inspiration came from a dream, and the embers were fanned by a pal in New Mexico. Next thing you know, we were traveling down a previously unexplored road, looking to see where it might take us. That doesn't mean we've abandoned our plans--anything but. It just means that we're trying to be open to lots of ideas. And our "plans" aren't nearly as concrete as most would think. They're really more of a framework than a blueprint. And just like sometimes one changes his or her mind in the midst of building a home, we're open to changing our minds while we're building a life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home